Who I am
Hello, I’m Caterina!
I am a Post-doctoral researcher at the Universidad Carlos III de Madrid (UC3M) in the BSEL group. I work closely with my supervisor, Dra. Arrate Muñoz Barrutia, exploring the exciting field of biomedical science and engineering.
Currently, I am actively involved in the AI4Life project, a groundbreaking initiative supported by the Horizon Europe Work Program. This ambitious project brings together 10 leading partners from 8 countries, with a dedicated 3-year, 4 million EUR investment. Through this project, we aim to advance the frontiers of artificial intelligence in the realm of life sciences.
In addition to my work on AI4Life, I am also passionate about various projects in the field of bioimage analysis. I specialize in areas such as microscopy, histopathology, and magnetic resonances.
Last year, I successfully defended my PhD thesis, receiving a cum laude mention. My research focused on the intersection of cybersecurity and biometrics. Specifically, I explored the identification of individuals using their own Electrocardiogram signals transformed into images.
Through my website, I aim to share my expertise, experiences, and discoveries with the broader scientific community. Join me on this exciting journey as we explore the frontiers of biomedical research.
Feel free to reach out, collaborate, or explore more about my work and interests.
My main interests are:
- Bioimage analysis
- Deep Learning
- November 2023: Meeting you at CASEIB 2023 to present our paper called “Estimación de la proporción de hidrops endolinfático en pacientes con la enfermedad de Mèniére”. See you in Cartagena, Murcia!
- October 2023: BioImage.IO Chatbot is soon to be out! We have created this chatbot that will transform bioimage analysis as we know it! Check the preprint here. To know more about it, visit our GitHub Page.
- October 2023: Participated in the I2K Conference with a workshop on BAND, deepImageJ and the BioImage Model Zoo titled Leveraging Cloud-Based Virtual Desktops for Bioimage Analysis with BAND and DeepImageJ together with Yi Sun. Materials are available here.
- October 2023: Visited Heidelberg EMBL for one week of the AI4Life General Assembly and hackathon. During the hackathon I had the opportunity to work on a new Chatbot that will soon see the light! Stay tuned!
- September 2023: Went for one month and one week to the KTH Royal Institute of Technology to work with Dr. Wei Ouyang in the AICell Lab at the SciLifeLab, Sweden.
- Postdoctoral researcher at BSEL - Biomedical Sciences AND Engineering Laboratory in UC3M, Madrid, Spain. Focused on bioimage analysis.
- PhD in Computer Science and Technology (cum laude) at UC3M, Madrid, Spain.
- MSc in Cibersecurity at UC3M, Madrid, Spain.
- Telematics Engineer at AirEuropa, Mallorca, Spain.
- BSc in Telematics Engineering at UIB, Mallorca, Spain.